Re: Debain on the rise ! - However ....

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 07:13:01PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> [...]
> > And what about discretization in other areas?  I asked a question about the
> > Debian install (3.0 r1) not recognizing my HDDs connected to a Rocket-133
> > PCI-IDE card (a few days ago---titled "New Debian install + Rocket133 = no
> > HDDs!  (Please help...").
>
> Adding pleas for help ("Please help" "HELP!!" or similar) on *any*
> high traffic mailing list usually causes everybody else's brain to
> automatically s/$PLEA/I'm a noob without a clue and entitlement
> issues, delete me and move on/ .
>
> You might have greater success after giving ESR's howto a readthrough.

> > The end result?  The end result is unfortunate for Debian.  I really *did*
> > want to try Debian, but with the only response I got to my
> > hour-long-researching-post being "compile your own kernel", that pretty
> > much shut this new-comer down!
>
> If I had seen it, I would have asked if you had read the Installation
> Manual (http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install), or
> suggest you try Knoppix.
>
> > In the few days that I have been on this list, I can
> > say that I have seen many, many requests for help go unanswered.
>
> It's not our fault that people still haven't gotten the hang of
> effectively communicating in written form almost 40 years after the
> creation of email, and several millennia after the advent of written
> language.  We exist because we don't want to cater to the Great Unwashed.
>
> > Maybe I'll be able to give Debian a try at some point in the future, but at
> > this point, it feels almost unsupported to me.  I'm not saying that there's
> > no help here, I'm just saying that the volume is *crushing*, and that it
> > seems that many of the requests for help are being lost in the volume!
>
> Is your mail reader threaded?  You'd notice that the vast majority of
> messages are parts of existing threads.  Most threads get response.
> If you don't get a response, you're doing something that's causing
> people to avoid that thread (bad subject, not enough info, looks even
> remotely like another AOL idiot thinking we care about their "printer
> icon", etc).
>
> > It sounds to me that you imply that anyone who doesn't have a good mail
> > client just shouldn't bother with this list.
>
> Well, you're on the right track.  Anybody who doesn't have a good mail
> client shouldn't bitch that they get burned by volume.  Especially on
> this list.  Just popping open tin real quick and searching my news
> server, I see these newsgroups *all* mirror this list (post by sending
> directly to the list):
>
> apana.lists.os.linux.debian.user
> jlug.ml.debian.users
> linux.debian.user
>
> I also know of (but don't seem to carry)...gmane.debian.user
>
> There's also a digest version.
>
> Anybody who has a bad mail client has no business using email.  8:o)
>
> > I, myself, haven't had the time to migrate to Mutt on my RH9 Linux
> > box, so I'm temporarily putting-up with Eudora on Win98 (even though

What about kmail or evolution (probably mozilla variations but I don't
know them)? Very similar to eudora in feel, easy to set up (not as
strong as mutt IMHO though). They can thread, filter, separate into
mailboxes using rules/origin etc. I think they can even use spamassassin
and friends.
This list becomes much more menagable with threading.