Re: dpkg Bus Error

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 11:54:46AM -0500, Ross Vandegrift said
> Hello everyone,
>
> 	I was playing around with an alternate ppp package yesterday and
> determined that I wanted to go back to the woody package.  I built the
> modified ppp package myself, using the woody source as the base.  I
> applied a few patches, built the .deb and installed it on two machines.
>
> 	So I tried removing ppp like 'dpkg --remove ppp' and it
> complained about needed ppp for pppoe, pppconfig, ppoeconf.  Since I
> don't use any of these I ran 'dpkg --remove pppoe pppconfig pppoeconf'.
>
> 	Now dpkg gives a "Bus Error" whenever it tries to do any actual
> work (ie, 'dpkg --help' work fine).  The machine has neither gdb nor
> strace to debug this problem.

That's odd.  Does running "dselect update" help?  Does "debsums" show
any disk corruption?

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:    Sarin nerve gas Oil deals Etacs Merlin Oil deals Australia