Debian with dual PIII 500

G'day,

What is the benefit of having dual processor for a server box? Depending
on the nature of the OS, some will boost, say, dual PIII 500 to become
PIII 1000. Other OS can make the second CPU and back up processor just
in case the first one blew up. And, another configuration, is, to
separate a special software to use the specific CPU only.

These answers are mouth_to_mouth answers taht I can get from people
around me. But I want to know more on how we can set these setting under
Debian. Any direction?

What the most common use of dual processor in Debian Server?

Lets say I want to build Tomcat-Java server, the Java compilation will
take first CPU ussage and tomcat itself will take the second CPU. Is
this possible?

Thanks in advance for any helpfull information.