Re: cdrecord priority

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 17:46, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On 2004-02-04, Gustavo Halperin penned:
> >   Hello List
> >
> >   When I roast some CD  with 'xcdroast' (or any other application), I
> >   can also do it  another thinks in the computer. But if I call to the
> >   command 'cdrecor'   (also I did it with the same options like
> >   xcdroast) in the command line the 'cdrecord' take almost the
> >   recourses of the computer.  Is any way to call to 'cdrecord' and  do
> >   it another think in the computer in the same time???
>
> I think what you want to look into is the 'nice' command, which allows
> you to lower an application's priority.

I don't think so. cdrecord uses the real time scheduling class. A
process belonging to this class gets as much cpu time, as it demands.
This is cdrecords strategy to avoid buffer underruns.

Maybe you can turn this feature off somehow. What you can do is run
cdrecord with less privileges. Only root is allowed to put processes
into the real time scheduling class.

-alf