Re: AC'97 sound on 2.4 kernel

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 11:59:29AM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote......

> > ryan:/home/ryan# dpkg -l | grep oss
> > ii  gstreamer-oss  0.6.4-3   OSS plugin for GStreamer
> > ii  libao2         0.8.4-1.1 Cross Platform Audio Output Library
> > ii  libflac4       1.1.0-10  Free Lossless Audio Codec - runtime
> > ii  libieee1284-3  0.2.8-2   Cross-platform library for parallel
> > ii  liboggflac1    1.1.0-10  Free Lossless Audio Codec - runtime
>
> I see the same, except I don't have the ieee one.
>
> In the gnome sound config panel (don't have it in front of me right
> now), there is an option to turn on the sound server on startup.  Do
> you have this turned on?  This will run esd (at least, that's what it
> does on my box), preventing you from accessing the OSS drivers
> directly.  The solution is either to disable the sound server or to
> have xmms use the enlightenment sound server.

The sound server in Gnome is turned off too.

Still no sound, although xmms plays mp3's as if the sound is going out.
No error messages.  Same thing if I play a music CD too.  The player
plays as if everything is o.k.  Just no sound.

I've checked /var/log/syslog too for anything suspect.  Nothing.

I've checked the obvious:  Speakers plugged in and turned on, plugged in
correct spot, manual volume knob turned up, no mute buttons anywhere
pressed, etc.

Speakers worked just as they are now when this box was running under
that 'other' West Coast OS just last week, so I'm pretty sure I've got
either a config problem, or a not supported by kernel problem, or I'm
just brain-dead problem.

I'm about ready to take the coward's way out and go buy an add-in PCI
soundblaster card.

Thanks
Kevin