Re: SSL capable FTP _client_?

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 05:02:52PM +0100, Jens Benecke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> our department server allows FTP sessions only via SSH2 tunnel (which only
> commercial SSH.com SSH2 can do)

OpenSSH can open SSH2 tunnels too, surely?

> or SSL tunnel (which no client I know of can do).
>
> I know lots and lots of FTP _servers_ that can do SSL, and in fact the FTP
> server in question _is_ a Linux server. But they only offer something
> called "Webdrive" for Windows as a client and they don't have enough
> resources to support Linux.
>

> So: anybody know a graphical (preferably) client, that can do FTP over SSL
> or tunneled via SSH?

There's ftp-ssl, although it's not graphical.

As for SSH tunnelling, do you really mean FTP tunnelled over SSH2, or do
you mean SFTP? If so, both the ssh and putty-tools packages come with
sftp clients, and I believe both GNOME (with gnome-vfs-sftp installed)
and KDE support SFTP in their file managers.

There's also hsftp.

Cheers,