Re: coding system woes / OpenOffice (amended)

On Mit, 2004-02-04 at 16:04, Shawn Lamson wrote:

> You could try starting OO from a shell where you are exporting the
> locale. I would check the output of locale to see what it is set to now.
> Mine is LC_CTYPE="POSIX" and I don't have a problem rendering utf8...
> utf8 shows up in the output of locale -a... I tried
> export LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
> openoffice

This won't change it for me. But it was a good idea I'd never had
myself.

BTW, starting it from the shell I got the following, that seems it might
actually mean something:

Starting configuration import into user data ..
.. importing layer file:///tmp/oooLocale.XXXXIPRA8b - succeeded
I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale ""

Looks like I've still got some undeclared locale, or what else could ""
mean?

> Also in OO under Tools>Options there is a Language setting - again mine
> is set to "Default" and it is okay - maybe you have something other
> specified?

Well, German. And I don't have anything like "default" available -- the
next best setting is "none", which, again, didn't change a bit.
Other than that, I may only chose languages by their name, no mention of
the coding system that will be used.

cu,
Schnobs