Problems with kppp/wvdial: not dialing

Hi.
I'm running Debian unstable and I'm trying to use my
external modem with kppp or wvdial, but I can't get it
to work (I do it as root).
If I start my laptop with a Knoppix CD then I can use
kppp without problems (it's and older version). I've
tried with wvdial and it happened the same as with
kppp: it detects the modem, it appears the command of
dialing but it hangs before starting. Sometimes it
doesn't even  appears that command, only random
characters.
I've tried to change some parameters
with kppp, I've tried the same wvdial config file I
used  with knoppix and get the modem dialing
(although it couldn't establish a connection after
that), but I get nothing more that a "click" on the
modem. A friend of
mine is also having the same kind of problems, could
you help me?

I paste the text that appears when I run wvdial  (and
that is similar to the log of kppp) and my configfile.
Thanks a lot:

root@debian:# wvdial --config /floppy/wvdial.1

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
[18]
--> Sending: ATQ0
ATQ0
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT908222222
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT908222222

----------(it hangs and I have to exit)

Another attempts:

--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
@x
--> Sending: ATQ0
ATQ0
OK
--> Re-Sending: ATZ
f f [18] ~[18][1e][18]f [18]
--> Modem not responding.

--------------------------

Config file:

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyS0
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
 Phone = 908222222
 Username = ONO