Re: coding system woes / OpenOffice (amended)

On Wed, February 04 at  3:27 PM EST
Christian Schnobrich <schnobs@babylon-kino.de> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>part of my work is to write some plain text files, that will later be
>put to several uses by different applications. Hence the plain text.
>And because I'm lazy, I like to copy'n'paste them off the WWW...
>
>Now, for the copy&paste part to work, I have to set the coding system
>of my editor to utf-8. If they're anything else, both gedit and emacs
>will garble german umlauts in the text.
>Utf-8 is fine for me -- seemingly it is the preferred coding system for
>German.
>
>However, OpenOffice seemingly only expects Latin-1 when opening text
>files -- anything else (including utf-8) will suffer. In times long
>past, OOo would have asked me wich coding system to try for a given
>file, but since some time (1) it will just assume iso-8859-1 and,
>again, make a mess of my utf-8 files.
>
>(1)
>The localization and coding system stuff has been nagging for quite
>some time. I've messed around a lot with it, and though most things now
>work better than before, OOo no longer asks for coding systems but uses
>iso-8859-1 no matter what the file actually is. I'd like to revert this
>if I only knew how... and as long as I won't lose the current language
>support I _do_ have.
>
>So, I'm a bit at a loss here and don't know wich way to turn.
>
>cu,
>Schnobs

You could try starting OO from a shell where you are exporting the
locale. I would check the output of locale to see what it is set to now.
Mine is LC_CTYPE="POSIX" and I don't have a problem rendering utf8...
utf8 shows up in the output of locale -a... I tried
export LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
openoffice

and it was still okay opening utf8 encoded files and rendering umlauts.
I think you can also do LANG="en_US.utf8" or whichever encoding is
appropriate for you and is in the output of locale -a.

Also in OO under Tools>Options there is a Language setting - again mine
is set to "Default" and it is okay - maybe you have something other
specified?

HTH and sorry if I throw you off track, as this may not be your problem.

Shawn Lamson
shawn.lamson@verizon.net