Re: Missing /var/log/wtmp

Cheryl Homiak wrote:
	 am running debian unstable. I seem to be missing /var/log/wtmp
from my system. I have searched debian
and found no file by that name in the package contents searches. I
searched google;  I did
find some correspondence on a cygwin list about it being missing. Their
solution was to insert something in one of the postinstall scripts. Is
there a more straightforward way of re-creating it on my system? I'm
getting daily reports about logrotate not being able to find it.
TIA.

/var/log/wtmp is created if and only if system accounting is enabled. It holds binary accounting data on what processes have been run and by whoom plus a few other things.

- Bryan