Re: Multi-head (non-Xinerama) window managers

Thanks for your comments!

also sprach Brad Sawatzky <brad+debian@lamorak.phys.virginia.edu> [2004.02.02.1759 +0100]:
> Perhaps the simplest solution is to use Xinerama and just set the
> sticky bit on the apps you wish to be global (ie. those on your
> "reference" monitor)?  That will force them to stay put when you
> change desktops, but you still have all of the advantages of
> having a single logical screen through Xinerama.

But that limits me to one desktop on the reference machine, when I'd
really like three: browser, mail reader, jpilot.

also sprach Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net> [2004.02.02.1826 +0100]:
> > So then I went back to WindowMaker and got it to run two
> > separate instances on the two screens.
>
> It really should have done that without any help from you.  Are
> you running multiple screens on one X server, or did you launch
> another X server on the other head?

The former, and WindowMaker does it without problems.

> You really want to use one of the window managers that was
> designed from the ground up to do this, and already deals with the
> issues, rather than some mish-mash.  That more or less means you'd
> want to be using one of the older wm's, like blackbox, or fvwm, or
> afterstep.

I am trying fluxbox/blackbox right now, and fvwm(2) has come up many
times, so that's next.

> If EWMH compatability is important to you, I'd use fvwm.
> Otherwise, I'd use blackbox.  Actually, I'd use blackbox anyway...
> blackbox CVS supports EWMH. ^_^

I don't eben know what that acronym stands for and foldoc doesn't
either.

also sprach Jamin W. Collins <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> [2004.02.03.0109 +0100]:
> Just configured both heads here for click to focus and clicking
> anywhere within a window on either screen switches focus to it.

I wonder if this is a feature they forgot to swipe when they forked
fluxbox, which I am now using.

> I'm quite happy with Blackbox and Dual Head.  I'd be happy to
> provide any help I can.

Thanks, Jamin. I might take you up on this.

Gotte try fvwm2 one of these days...

`. `'`