Help on compiling new kernel

Hi list,

there is one thing I never did before and that is compiling a kernel.

I've got an old 266er dual board and would like to compile the kernel that it will also use the second cpu, in addition to that I'd like to use lvm-mod and the LVM10, so that I can build logical volume groups.

I've searched the net a little bit with google and also tried to get more info out of the readme's, but I don't get what "they" are talking about.

Does somebody know a really good Howto, which explains how to compile a kernel step by step?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Jens