Re: Buying a new computer, questions!

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 01:02:47PM -0600, rthoreau@iwon.com wrote:
> I would consider another MB manufacture, as Asus has had problems with quality of as late.
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13674
>
> Ok this might effect their AMD line, but do you really trust a MB company which uses
> only one type of capacitors for only one line? I would much prefer you to have a long
> lasting computer with your hard earned cash. Also you could save a few dollars by choosing
> a different MB manufacture. Also do you really need a 3.2 Ghz chip, you could save a bundle
> on a 2.8 Ghz chip.  Also make sure you get a new power supply, if it comes with the case
> make sure it will be big enough. Antec does a good job with PS bundles with their cases, or
> I like fortran which powers my dual rig. Otherwise everything looks good, if you went AMD you
> could save even more money, unless you went 64 which would be about the same.

I'm basing my buying decision on Tom's Hardware.  His last two reviews
on the P4 (3.4 Extreme & the Memory Timings one) have been with:

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Rev. 1.02
Intel 875P Chipset
BIOS: 1014
4x Corsiar TwinX CMX256A-3200LL (XMS32005V1.1)
256 MB per DIMM
CL 2.0 - tRCD 2 - tRP 2 - tRAS 6 for 133 and 200 MHz FSB

That fellow is German, I trust Germans to "steer me right" in general (I
love their sense of ergonomics and design) and this guy in particular
seems to give good advice.  I don't care (much) about overclocking.  The
2.8 is only $60 cheaper, since the 3.4 is out people are dropping prices
on the 3.2 (but they're not in stock!).

I dunno, I might end up waiting.  I currently have a P4 1.7 Willamette
(RDRAM-800) from 2001 with a Radeon 9700: it looks like I'll get 50%
better framerates in games and 100% faster times encoding MP3s in lame.

This low-latency ram is supposed to be nice.  All my games play
extremely well but Doom 3 is about out.  Plus it would be nice to cut
down DVD-transcoding and stuff, that takes hours.

Anyway, thanks.