lost configuration after reboot

i reboot my new system after a week or so of runtime. upon restarting
the os, several things were amiss:

an entry in the routing table to the gateway was missing. i was able
to route add the entry again. shouldn't this entry persist after
a reboot?

iptables rules  did not persist as shown by iptables -L the table
was empty and packets were not being forwarded from the 192.168.1.
1 eth1 interface to the 10.20.1.158 eth0 interface. iptables -t nat
-A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE has not helped my situation.

my default xwindow manager i thought was kde ... xdm is now coming
up as the default and i cannot seem to prevent this from happening.

these are several different problems but i am thinking there is one
root cause that i am overlooking here. does anyone have guidance?