Re: using old isa bus ethernet cards

>> one chip number is LG82000 ... the other is S82595FX L7093628. I
>> searched Debian for a previous post and even googled but have not
>> found any information on which modules to load when using antiques.
>>
>I had one of the latter (82595FX) but it was an Intel clone: yours
may be
>just a straight Intel.  It used the eepro.o module (NOT eepro100!).
Mine
>required a DOS program to fiddle with settings (irq, io, disable pnp) -
>it's available at Intel's site (think it's called "softset.exe").
Maybe
>isapnp tools can deal with this: I didn't try that, so can't say
for sure.
>I was using an older Linux with this card, kernel 2.2.16, and I
had a lot
>of headaches getting it to work.  I finally got it working by stipulating
>the io at boot time *and* using a module from the 2.2.19 kernel and
>forcing it to load under 2.2.16.  Maybe later kernels/modules will not
>have these problems.
>
>James

this machine has the 2.2.20 kernel.

in a howto, i read the modules.conf file should contain:

     alias eth0 eepro
     options eepro io=0x300

i did this but am still having no luck. part of my problem is that
i am not sure which io address to use (or how to know which one is
correct for the given isa slot). furthermore, the interrupt should
be set. i do not see jumpers on the ethernet cards to set the irq.

how can i be sure of the io address and irq?