Re: [OT] voting (was: Slashdot and media accuracy (was Re: Improved Debian Project Emergency Communications))

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 at 11:17 GMT, Klaus Imgrund penned:
> On Sunday 07 December 2003 05:23 am, Tom wrote:
>

>> Have you ever seen a dog play with a mouse by torturing it?
>
> Animals don't have a concept of torture.  Most pets rarely kill
> anything and are almost as clueless how to go about it as I am with
> fixing my box.  They are merely what appears to be cruel at times to
> the human bystander.  Actually I don't care how my dogs send beings on
> to the next world as long as they do - all in a days work.
>
> Klaus

Actually, I normally see this behavior in cats, not dogs.

Anyway, Klaus, your description of animals seems to fit my observation
of small children -- there are plenty of stories of kids doing horrific
things because they are innocent in the sense of the pre-apple days:
they have no knowledge of right and wrong.

Anyway, I have definitely had dogs who had a sense of torture -- lock
them outside for a few hours and they would whine, and whine, and whine
about being tortured by not being allowed inside!  (This matches up with
kids nicely, too, I think -- kids are generally keenly aware of anything
that negatively affects them, while being completely unaware of how
their behavior affects others.)

--
monique