Re: [OT] voting (was: Slashdot and media accuracy (was Re: Improved Debian Project Emergency Communications))

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 01:29:31PM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 at 17:56 GMT, Paul Johnson penned:
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 07:13:33PM +0800, David Palmer. wrote:
> >> Put all politicians on a wage of $500.00/week, and make it a capital
> >> offense to take a political bribe, and you would get the ones that
> >> want to do the job for the right reasons.
> >
> > Would also encourage just random people to get a job as a politician
> > because it would be a reasonable income.
> >

> Friends of mine postulated the idea of having "politician duty" in much
> the same was as we have jury duty ... you get a letter one day telling
> you it's your turn to serve.  Pretty sure this was done in at least one
> ancient govt ... think it was Athens.
>
> "Random people" have a much better chance of aligning with my interests
> than politicians.  The fact is, anyone who's willing to put themselves
> and their family through the torture that is a politician's life by
> definition does not share my values.

I hear that British COlumbia is planning to use a random scheme to select
members of the commission that is going to propose a mechanism for proportional representation or other more equitable election system.  The result to be
ratified in a referendum.

-- hendrik