Opposed: (was Re: RFC: Create d-user-woody, d-user-sarge maillists, deactivate d-user)

on Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 02:28:52AM -0800, Hereon (hereon1@fastmail.us) wrote:
> Request For Comment on:
>   Enhancing the Debian mailing lists by:
>   Creating debian-user-woody and debian-user-sarge mailing lists,
>   and deactivating debian-user.

> 1) The Debian user community is substantially suboptimally served
>    with the existence of the current debian-user list.

Bollox.

Your demonstration and proof are ... nil.

> 3) The Debian community would be much better served
>    a) by the creation now of two new mailing lists, called:
>      1) debian-user-woody, or possibly debian-user-stable,
>         or possibly debian-user-3

There is an existing "debian-testing" list.  It sees, substantially, no
traffic.

    http://lists.debian.org/stats/debian-testing.png
    http://lists.debian.org/stats/debian-user.png

Similar problems exist for trying to create 'noob' lists.  It's the
blind-leading-the-blind problem, with experts not choosing to
participate.  There is a similar problem in IRC with #debian and
#knoppix lists (nobody wants to support #knoppix...).

There's also the small issue of your nomencalture, which would require
creating (and retiring) lists on each Debian release.

Generally, geographic localization seems to be a better basis for
partitioning lists -- you tend to get folks you've met face to face, and
are in (respectively) beer-buying, or bat-wielding, range.

> 4) This message is requesting:
>    1) Comment regarding specific suggestions of how the situation
>       could be inproved through the creation of 1 or more additional
>       lists to augment or replace debian-user,

Given current evidence, none.

>    2) "Seconds" (to the motion) for the request of these changes.

Move to table.

I see this proposal as groundless, misguided, redundant, and harmful.
I oppose it.

Peace.

    Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first woman she
    meets and then teams up with three complete strangers to kill again
     - Marin IJ's synopsis of "The Wizard of Oz"