Re: Windows character sets and Linux

I had that problem when mounting a windows partition.

Solved it by adding, in my case, 'iocharset=iso8859-15' to fstabs; i.e. mounting it with that option. Don't know which charset is the proper one for american english though; iso8859-1? Apostrophes, quotes, scandinavian characters (åäö), etc., are showing up just as they're supposed to do now.

I don't think it has anything to do with the locale, as such, since I had the locale set up properly (I hope), but simply telling mount how to mount it properly.

h: Krisse

Paul M Foster wrote:
I've often seen webpages where certain characters (primarily things like apostrophes, quotes and such) show as '?' under Linux. I believe this is a problem with character sets in Windows versus Linux. I'm assuming that if I include the proper "locale" in Linux, this problem will go away. Does anyone know how to solve this, and what the character set is which Windows uses (in American English)?

Paul