Re: ..how do I tell apt-get | dpkg about bad files off a bad disk? Clue Whack, Please!

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:10:06 -0800,
Tom <tb.31123.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
<[🔎] 20031201191006.GA18801@comcast.net>:

> On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 01:59:34PM -0500, Mark Roach wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 11:05, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > ..on remastering a wee knoppix derivative, the disk whined about
> > > read errors down the /usr/XFree86 tree, so I moved my tree to
> > > another disk, and figured apt-get --reinstall or some such should
> > > fix it for me.
> > >
> > > ..the "some such" is the problem;  how do I get "apt-get
> > > --re-install" to overwrite my bad files???  Or, tell the apt-get |
> > > dpkg database about bad files off a bad disk?
> >
> > Does "apt-get install --reinstall <packagename>" work? you might
> > need to erase the cached .deb file from /var/cache/apt/archives/
>
> I may be wrong, but I think if you still have the .debs around, a
> "dpkg -i *.deb" will do the trick.  That's what I do.

..well, it works, but it does not fix my problem here:
root@not a tty[archives]# dpkg -i *.deb
(Reading database ... 8875 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace cpp-2.95 1:2.95.4-11woody1 (using
cpp-2.95_1%3a2.95.4-11woody1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement cpp-2.95 ...
Preparing to replace libperl5.6 5.6.1-8.3 (using
libperl5.6_5.6.1-8.3_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libperl5.6 ...
Setting up cpp-2.95 (2.95.4-11woody1) ...

Setting up libperl5.6 (5.6.1-8.3) ...

root@not a tty[archives]# apt-get install --reinstall \
`cat /root/dsl-0.5-selections |grep ^x |cut -f-2 `
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, re-installation of xbase-clients is not possible,
it cannot be downloaded.
Sorry, re-installation of xfmail is not possible,
it cannot be downloaded.
Sorry, re-installation of xfonts-75dpi is not possible,
it cannot be downloaded.
Sorry, re-installation of xfonts-base is not possible,
it cannot be downloaded.
Sorry, re-installation of xfree86-common is not possible,
it cannot be downloaded.
Sorry, re-installation of xlib6g is not possible,
it cannot be downloaded.
Sorry, re-installation of xlibmesa3 is not possible,
it cannot be downloaded.
Sorry, re-installation of xlibs is not possible,
it cannot be downloaded.
Sorry, re-installation of xmms is not possible,
it cannot be downloaded.
Sorry, re-installation of xpdf-common is not possible,
it cannot be downloaded.
Sorry, re-installation of xserver-common is not possible,
it cannot be downloaded.
Sorry, re-installation of xutils is not possible,
it cannot be downloaded.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to
remove and 0  not upgraded.
root@not a tty[archives]#

> I didn't suggest it because I doubt most people keep them around
> (I do, in a local mirror).

..that I believe would have solved my problem, I know my remaster data
to be bad and the deb database is "good but assumes my data is good",
so I wanna use the deb database to overwrite my bad data.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: