Re: RFC: Create d-user-woody, d-user-sarge maillists, deactivate d-user

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 08:52:23PM +0800, David Palmer. wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 02:28:52 -0800 "Hereon" <hereon1@fastmail.us> wrote:
>
> > Request For Comment on:
> >   Enhancing the Debian mailing lists by:
> >   Creating debian-user-woody and debian-user-sarge mailing lists,
> >   and deactivating debian-user.
> >
> And the people running mixed systems?
> I'm running stable and sarge.
<SNIP>
> If it was to do so, I would recommend the formation of new mailing lists
> based on the format of subject type, e.g., a debian-mail list dealing
> with associated subject matter, e.g., spamassassin, and clamav, and/or a
> debian-networking list, as these two factors provide the majority of the
> load upon debian-user at present. But with 13000+ packages (I think it
> is), I believe that there will still be a definite requirement for
> debian-user and the flexible, general nature that it provides, caters
> for, and why it was created in the first place. Debian-user is an
> institution for a reason.

I'm with David on this one.
I can see that debian-mail and debian-networking lists might address a
real need, but it seems to me that splitting debian-user up into woody,
sarge and sid (or woody and sarge/sid) would cause at least as many
problems as it would resolve.

	Cheers!
--
deserve neither liberty nor safety.