Re: Rationale

scripsit John Smith:
> > One good reason why that behaviour is evil is that I may want to install
> > custom versions of utils without messing with /bin or /usr/bin.  That's
> > what /usr/local is for, after all.
>
> One of the things I thoroughly dislike about unices is that anybody
> and his mother who thinks he is able to write a program, think they
> have the god given right to bother a whole system with his fscked up
> s**t, ie. 'adjust' the whole environment for some particular program.

Um, yes.  That's why I wouldn't suggest that anyone who for whatever
reason decided to recompile tar (for example) put it in /bin.  Put the
``fscked up s**t'' as you called it in /usr/local/bin.  If a user
prefers the OS's version to the admin's, he is free to put /bin:/usr/bin
at the front of his PATH.

> Some advice: 1) Keep your own stuff together 2) write a general
> wrapper for any straight called executable of your own making 3) don't
> bother other programs, especially the os.

Some advice:  Don't worry yourself too much about what ``fscked up
s**t'' I might want to put in my /usr/local/bin.

--
Pax vobiscum; pax cum omnibus.

Thanasis Kinias
tkinias at asu.edu