Re: Suggestions for a window manager to replace Enlightenment

on Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 08:32:56PM -0500, Peter S Galbraith (p.galbraith@globetrotter.net) wrote:
> After years of running E (without gnome), I might be tempted to use
> something else.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Intall and try a few.  Launch X from console with:

    $ startx $( which xterm )

...and kick off a few window managers from the terminal.

That said, WindowMaker arguably meets all your needs -- it's keep me
happy for years.  The tiles take up minimal real estate, particularly if
you set the Clip to "autoattract icons" and "Autocollapse".

Add:  fast, stable, and highly configurable to keyboard operation, with
minimal intrusive distractions.

> Here's what I really like about E:
>
> - minimal screen real estate lost.  I don't mind selecting an
>   application by clicking the mouse first to get a menu.  Minimal or no
>   icon box.

Check.

> - shade/unshade windows, leaving only the window decoration bar showing.

Check.  Minimize to "miniwindow" (64x64 tile)

> - ability to switch virctual consoles by scrolling the mouse wheel.

No, but <alt><number> will get you there, for the first 9 workspaces.
Drag windows between workspaces in setting.   <ctrl><alt><left|right>
also cycles.  All keys are remappable.

> - settings done using GUI rather than editing a config file.

WPrefs:

    http://www.windowmaker.org/features-wprefs.html

...though you can also hand-edit config files, _if you need to_.

> - Looks good.

Again, arguably.  I find it minimally distracting, but pleasent.  Though
it can also be dressed up.

    http://www.windowmaker.org/gallery-1.html
    http://windowmaker.org/imageview.php?cat=big&id=47
    http://windowmaker.org/imageview.php?cat=big&id=40

> So I'm looking for something fairly unintrusive, yet with nice
> features.  Eye candy is good.  The screenshots of openbox look good,
> but I don't know if it has the features I want.

Peace.

    Bush/Cheney '04: Four More Wars!