Re: Knoppix ,woody and LILO

--- Otto Wyss <wyo@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> eric brown <ericdebianlists@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I bought a used 10G hardrive and installed it in
> my
> > computer has hda (primary IDE master) and I
> installed
> > Linux on that drive.  My original windows install
> is
> > now primary IDE slave. I modified LILO so I can
> load
> > XP or Linux. (see below)
> >
> A full disk just for booting? I'm using the "xfdisk"
> bootloader to
> choose between Linux and Windows. xfdisk has the
> advatage that it can't
> restore its MBR after overwritten by any Windows or
> Debian/sarge
> installation. IMO the lilo bootblock belongs always
> into the linux
> partition and never into the MBR. xfdisk has also a
> drawback, it's
> written in pascal and not actively supported.

I didn't mention that my original XP install drive was
almost full.

Getting a second drive is also cheaper than getting
Partition Magic.  Does xfdisk (or some other program)
can resize partition without data loss?

(The thing is that I was also a bit paranoid about
protecting my data on my original disk with one
partition...)

> > Drawback: Since windows is partitionned in NTFS I
> can
> > only read my windows file from the Linux side.
> > Windows doesn't even see the linux side.
> >
> Get fs2explorer for windows.

Thanks for the tip!