Re: Totally [OT] Re: Opium

On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 01:04, cr wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:52, Tom wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 06:51:41PM +0800, csj wrote:

> > > I have never owned a gun and I haven't shot anyone either.
> > > Cultural differences I guess.  In most other countries, only war,
> > > crime and drug lords are allowed to own guns.  It keeps the world
> > > a much simpler place, rather than having potentially 200M average
> > > Joes and Janes with the potential to do you in.
> >
> > The original purpose of the 2nd ammendment was something like:
> > "If you think the politicians you've got are assholes now just see what
> > they'd be like if the populace couldn't shoot them if they acted up."
> >

> I see.    I just *knew* there was some reason why Kennedy (plural?), Reagan,
> Wallace, Martin Luther King and a few others got shot.    It was the
> constitution working as intended.        ;)

Kennedy, John - we'll never *really* know why, at least in my lifetime
Kennedy, Robert - not in office
Reagan - impressing Jodie Foster doesn't sound too revolutionary...
Wallace - not in national office
MLK - not in office, not a politician
McKinley, William - shot by an anarchist, for political purposes
Lincoln, Abe - Commander In Chief shot, during war-time, by enemy
               operative.

But then, who ever said that the purpose of the 2nd Amendment was
only to shoot the President?  After all, American Revolutionaries
didn't assassinate, they fought as as an army against their fellow/
former citizens.
(Sorta like the Confederates did against the Union.  I sometimes
wonder what history would be like if the USA had let the CSA break
peacefully away.  How would the CSA have dealt with slavery.  Cer-
tainly, it would have lasted longer, but how much longer, and would
the core attitudes of whites have slowly changed enough, so that
there would be peaceful co-existence, like there is in England, in-
stead of the outright hatred that produced Jim Crow, the Civil Rights
movement, and social wounds like forced integration.)

> Too bad for John Lennon that someone mistook him for a politician, though.

That's so stupid.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"I went home with a waitress the way I always do. How was I to
know she was with the Russians, too?"