Re: Bootsplash in Debian

On Monday November  3 at 04:34pm
Damien Solley <dsolley@student.usyd.edu.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 16:22, Johann Koenig wrote:
> > On Monday November  3 at 03:37pm
> > Damien Solley <dsolley@student.usyd.edu.au> wrote:
> >
> > > Kernel is 2.4.22 from ftp.kernel.org with Con Kolivas' -ck2 patch
> > > (includes bootsplash). I've got 512MB main memory with 1MB
> > > accessible to the BIOS while booting. I use the 845patch to
> > > allocate a further 10MB RAM to XFree86, but this is done during
> > > the sysinit stage, after kernel has loaded.
> >
> > Have a look at the debian source  kernels, and the package
> > 'kernel-patch-lpp.' It seems to be for 2.4 kernels. I have used it
> > to get exactly what you are looking for, but it was about 6 months
> > ago. I believe it applied cleanly to 2.4.20. Documentation is
> > available in/usr/share/doc/kernel-package-lpp.
>
> Hi Johann
> Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't realised that there was a patch
> available for the debian kernel sources. I had previously tried
> "apt-cache search bootsplash" with no results... Why is this patch
> named differently? Is it the same thing?
> Anyway, off to test it.
> Regards
> Damien

It is the 'Linux Progress Patch.' I am not sure what the 'bootsplash'
is. It may be the continuation of the LPP, or another project, or the
same project, called differently. I think there is some sort of similar
capabilities built into the new 2.6 kernel, under 'Graphics support' ->
'Support for frame buffer devices' -> 'Logo configuration' -> 'Bootup
logo.' However, I have not used that option. I prefer to keep my kernel
lean, mean, and above all, stable.
--
-johann koenig
Now Playing: Propellerheads - Spybreak! : Decksandrumsandrockandroll