Partitioning

Hello, I've been having this question on my mind for a bit now: what is
the best practice to partition a hard drive under Unix, and in
particular under Linux? At work I try to separate different
functionalities as much as possible (eg. /boot, /, /var, /home all on
different partitions). This makes sense since the machines are servers.
What is your experience regarding workstations? Is there any advantage
or disadvantage in using a simpler partitioning (eg. only /boot and /)?

Thank you,

Marco