can't start KDE as user

A dist-upgrade last night broke my formerly sid system. I was getting seg-faults from almost everything including bash.

I saved my home and etc directories and a few other files and re-installed. At this point my system is woody and kde is installed but will only stay logged in as root. When I log in as myself I get a black screen and then another login dialog. I don't see anything useful in any log files. It looks like it might be a permissions problem but I don't see it.

TIA for any help,

Paul Scott