Re: Can't install networking.

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:03:59 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

>> I am interrested in learning how it works but it has to be working for
>> that to happen.  The fact is that the installation routine and
>> documentation just plain suck.  It doesn't help that the books
>> available are ancient.
>
>No, it is not a fact that the installation routine and documentation
>just plain suck -- it is merely your opinion.  I personally have been
>very happy with the debian installer and the support I've found.
>
>Which books have you tried?

I didn't even go past the reverse of the title page.  The most recent
copyright date was july 2000.

>More pertinently, what part of the general advice given to you several
>posts ago frustrated the bejeezus out of you?  Was it the recommendation
>to use `uname -a` to find your kernel version?  The fact that you have
>to care about kernel versions at all?  The deal about the modules?

It said Linux utonium 2.4.18-bf2.4 [some greek]

The post then said to run "apt-cache search kernel-image-2.4 | more"
and then select the apprpriate kernel.

There was no output when I ran that.

I read further anyway and it says to install the broadcom module which
is impossible since there isn't one there.

I am not invested in anything on this machine yet.  I'm ready wipe the
drive and start again.

Which CD should I boot from?

>I do not believe that you have to be a hacker to install debian.  I do
>believe that at least a basic understanding of how kernels, modules, etc
>work can greatly facilitate the installation process as well as
>maintenance.

That's like saying you don't need to be a mechainc to drive a
volkswagen.  You just need a basic understanding of valve gaps,
timing, spark advance, etc.

>It all comes down to specific hardware configuration.  Every system has
>some hardware that it won't be prepared to use right out of the box.

The Broadcom 4400 is hardly rare.

>>>Perhaps you mentioned this earlier, but why are you interested in
>>>trying Debian specifically?
>>
>> I tried to install Pydance and ran into mass dependecy problems.  I'd
>> try to rpm something and it would report missing dependencies.  I'd
>> try to rpm the dependency and would be told that it already installed.
>>
>> I was told that Debian is much bettter at handling these things.
>
>I do believe that the debian package manager is the best out there --

So I've been told.  It may very well be, when one has a functining
network connection.

Mark Healey
deblist@healeyonline.com

Giving debian a chance.