Re: GeForce4 MX440 with kernel 2.4.18-bf24

----- Original Message -----
From: "Haines Brown" <brownh@hartford-hwp.com>
To: <hoyt13@wiredok.com>
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 11:11
Subject: Re: GeForce4 MX440 with kernel 2.4.18-bf24

> > Would that be XFree86-4.0.2 or 4.0.3 or 4.2 or 4.3.  If the latter I
have
> > more downloading to do?
> > The "vesa" driver isnt working or something isnt working.  However Hains
> > Brown has the same configuration and he is using
LinuxX86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run
> > from nVIDIA and that is what I planed on installing??? Is there
something
> > that we dont know. nVIDIA says this works with XFree86-4.01.
> > Regards;
>
> Hoyt,
>
> I don't recall, but I think the requirement is XFree86-4.0.1, and
> indeed that is what you quote. So I'm not sure of your question. My
> woody version of XFree86 was much newer. I assume you are not trying
> to install a pre-3.0 version of  debian, and so the file above will
> work just fine.
>
> I gather that the 4.3 XFree86 is not needed except in unusual
> situations. But don't rely on me; the nVidia web site spells the
> requirements out.
>
> The .run file you mention above is about all there is available, at
> least for graphics cards. What is the difficulty? Why the "???"?
>
> I don't know why you have a problem with the vesa driver, either,
> but it might not support the GeForce4 as well as someone assumed. I
> assume the vesa driver is available from your basic debian install,
> and if you do a "simple" XF86 configuration, and specify the driver as
> vesa, it is my assumption that you should get a (non-optimal, but
> usable) desktop. But, again, I'm no expert and only reply because I
> sensed you were getting frustrated for some reason.
>
> Are you trying to run X somehow in order to access the nVidia site to
> get the driver in order to run X? (catch-22) I suspect people will
> tell you to install and run the non-graphical browser (Lynx). I used
> to use Lynx a lot and find it a great backup, but it takes some
> getting used to, and I don't know how well you can manipulate the
> nVidia site with it. If this is your problem, I suggest you rephrase
> your question more explicitly.
>
> Haines

Frustrated is rather mile but close.  I placed the order for the 7 CD woody
3.0r1 -i386 on Sept 20, 2003. How could you have a newer version?  The
kernal on the dist I recieved was complied Apr 14 2002.  My system was built
May of 2003.  Could this be a source of the problem _yes_  is it -I dont
have a clue-.  About the only thing I am sure of is that X Window System
will not start.  PPP will not run using pppd.  I had hope of using gnome, to
get things running,  since I have some experience with it, but I need X for
that.  There may be other ways to accomplish this but I dont know how to
start any other way.  Frustrated yeh its close.
Regards;
Hoyt