Re: Microsoft good press over Longhorn

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 09:40:01PM +1300, cr wrote:
> DOS - most of its (very necessary) improvements were written as little apps
> by third-party developers (often copied from UNIX) and then copied by M$....

Ah, nostalgia... I have quite a rosy memory of DOS 3.x being pretty
easy to work with. I tend to forget that one of the first things I did
under it was clone most of the useful command-line tools I missed from
Unix, using Borland Turbo C, version 1.0... and my tools, unlike
Microsoft's, took care to do disk I/O in multiples of the cluster
size, which sped things up tremendously in those days.

It's interesting that MS Word on the Macintosh (MacOS 6) beat the crap
out of the contemporary MS Word for Windows... not only did it have
more features, but they all worked, properly, reliably and
consistently. The Windows version, by comparison, looked like an
approximate clone knocked up by some backstreet cowboy outfit. Seems
they can write good apps, but only under Apple's iron fist...

> I suppose I could go all the way back to  Edlin.....

I still use ed...

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons