Re: Microsoft good press over Longhorn

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 03:23:25PM +0100, Nicos Gollan wrote:
> Well, why not? To be honest, I've been really happy with the stability of my
> Win2k install. If MS improves stuff like memory management, it ought to
> become a damn fine OS. Of course, you can whine about DRM (I'm whining with
> you about this) and proprietary protocol (extensions).
>
> > It's like watching somebody involved in a bad marriage: I'll just stick
> > by him/her, they're bound to change.  It's worth it, if only for the
> > kids.
>
> So what? They did indeed change a LOT. If you compare WinME to WinMX, see the
> fact that MS plans to include an actually useful firewall and disable several
> services (and of course you'll have to avoid IE and OE), the bottomline is a
> lot of good for the customer. The customer won't have any money left, but
> (s)he'll be happy.
>
> Happy flaming :-)

I will answer you with a parable:

Theseus was walking in the woods one day, when he came across the house
of a giant.  Now, this giant considered himself a perfect host; all who
visited him must spend the night, and must be given a bed which fits the
guest perfectly.

Unfortunately, the giant had only one bed, exactly six feet long.  So if
the guest was too tall, he'd chop off his legs.  If the guest was too
short, he'd stretch him on the rack.  But no matter what, the guest
always fits the giant's bed perfectly!

[I worked for MS for three years.  Did you know that if you try to
connect more than about 100 clients to Microsoft's telnet server, even
on a 32-cpu Unisys with 32GB of ram, CreateProcess will fail?

Remember the "Free system resources" dialog in Win31, that if too low
required you to exit windows, even if there was plenty of ram left?
The limit that was 64K in Win31 is 48MB in Win32.  Any thread that calls
any functions in user32 is registered as a U/I thread; only so many can
be created.  Every telnet server launches a cmd.exe.

I could go on endlessly.]