Re: courier-imap setup - can't authenticate and maildir Q

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 17:39, David Gaudine wrote:
> On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 05:38 PM, Micha Feigin wrote:
>
> > Also the setup file says that courier only handles maildirs. I
> > currently
> > have exim installed for smtp. I uncommented the option for maildirs in
> > the config file and converted the mbox into a maildir with the same
> > name
> > in the same location. Is that the right thing to do?
>
> The only option I see for maildirs in the config file is for handling
> aliases and .forward.  My incoming mail goes to /var/spool/mail/david
> and isn't seen by the imap client, and the maildirs option in the
> config file doesn't affect that.  I was about to ask about that myself.
> Where is incoming mail supposed to go with exim/courier, and
> how can I get it there?  My sent mail is fine, it sits in a maildir and
> the client can read it.
>
> Another question.  I want to switch from wu-imap to courier-imap
> for efficiency.  This seems to require switching from sendmail to
> exim, so I did, but reluctantly since everyone else here uses
> sendmail.  Is it true that there's no way to use sendmail with
> courier-imap and maildirs?

I finally solved the problem using direction in one of the sites. As far
as I can tell if you are just using courier to allow remote users to
fetch their mail from the local machine you can use any mail transport
agent for receiving/sending mail you want as long as it supports
maildirs since courier imap only supports maildirs and not mailboxes.
Exim's default configuration needs to be changed though in order to
support maildirs, and you need to either create one (don't remember the
command) you send yourself an email to create it.
I am currently using exim as it is the default MTA installed with debian
and I don't have any experience with sendmail so I didn't see a reason
to replace.
The authentication problem was apparently due to the fact that I didn't
have a maildir set up so courier didn't think the user had an account.
Notice though that as far as I can tell courier looks for the maildir in
the home directory and I haven't found yet how to change it.
For good directions on setting up courier-imap-ssl and exim:
http://talk.trekweb.com/~jasonb/articles/exim_maildir_imap.shtml

--
Micha Feigin
michf@math.tau.ac.il