Re: Fw: X Windos System will not start

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu>
To: "Hoyt Bailey" <hoyt13@wiredok.com>
Cc: "Stephen Cormier" <s.cormier@inbox.lv>
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 11:16
Subject: Re: Fw: X Windos System will not start

> Hoyt Bailey wrote:
>
> >>Current Subject getting a working /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (Kent West Oct
> >>26,2003)
> >>
> >>Stephen Cormier sent me a copy of his XF86Config-4 file which gave me a
lot more confidence.

> <snip>
>
> >>I believe the only problem with the differences is my identification of
the video card I likely should change it to GeForce4 MX440(I cannot verify
the
> >>SE and since I dont know anything about this perhaps I should leave it
off..

> >>If Stephen can comment I would appreciate his comments on this and the
> >>entire problem.
> >>

> >I did not recieve any reply perhaps you missed this.  Could the following
be
> >the problem:
> >uname -a: Linux Blackgold 2.4.18-bf24 #1 son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002
i686
> >unknown
> >My system was built May 2003.  13 months later.
> >

> Having never played with a Geforce card, I can't really add anything.
> But I doubt the problem is your version of Linux (the kernel). Instead,
> I suspect that Stephen is running a newer version of X than you are. I
> suspect you're running the X that's in stable, and Stephen is running
> the X that's in testing or unstable or otherwise acquired.
>
> If you haven't tried updating to testing or sid, you might give that a
shot.

> --
> Kent

I'm not experienced enough for *unstable* .  Reminds me of Windows XP.  I
would just like to get stable to work.  I am probably caught in a time warp
or maybe just an edy. Besides PPP dosent function yet. On second thought
this could be a catch 22.
Regards;
Hoyt