Re: Simple little basic config questions

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 at 15:52 GMT, Kent West penned:
> > I echo Colin's thought. Forget about "su" and use "sudo". It takes an
> > extra 5 keystrokes per command, but it "just works", and in my opinion
> > is better than forgetting you're root and doing something you don't
> > want to do.
> >
> > apt-get install sudo visudo, add yourself a line similar to what's
> > already there sudo command_to_be_run_as_root
> >

> People keep talking about sudo like it's the cat's meow, and maybe for a
> single-user system it is.  But sudo documentation very explicitly warns
> that, if you're not careful about what you allow, you could accidentally
> allow access to far more than you expected.

Hi Monique,
like you said, you need to read the docs for muli-user systems. Sudo can
be setup to allow not just specific commands but a specific command with
specific parameters. ('ls' vs 'ls -l')
-Kev

> Anyway, go ahead and use sudo, but be aware of the possible security
> issues.
>
> (Of course, it's by definition safer than just giving someone the root
> password.  I'm just saying, don't think it solves 100% of security
> issues.)
>
> --
> monique
> PLEASE don't CC me.  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top.
> Whatever it takes, just don't CC me!  I'm already subscribed!!
(if anyone knows how to tell pine to do this, let me know, I hate having
to delete the 'to')