Re: Simple little basic config questions

> >>=20 People keep talking about sudo like it's the cat's meow, and maybe
> >>for a single-user system it is.  But sudo documentation very
> >>explicitly warns that, if you're not careful about what you allow, you
> >>could accidentally allow access to far more than you expected.
> >
> >=2E..it seems like a good idea on a single-user machine to allow sudo
> >dpkg -i... sudo dpkg -i make_bash_setuid_root.deb
>
> I'm a bit confused ... you snipped out the part where I said that it's
> probably fine for a single-user machine, then added your own comment to
> that effect, and instructions for installing it ...
>
> For the record, I have it installed.  But I still think that espousing
> sudo as a panacea, without encouraging people to read the documentation
> and understand the potential pitfalls, is not the right thing to do.

I think you got Colin wrong there (Colin please correct me if *I* got you
wrong:) . Colin just gave an example how easy it is to exploit the
sudo-privilege for using dpkg.

Btw. allowing apt-get limits the packages you can install to a well defined
pool, but I wouldn't bet anything on it being any more secure than
allowing dpkg -i. (Can anyone bring light on this?)

Johannes
--
"More than machinery we need humanity" -- Charlie Chaplin, The Great
Dictator