Re: Simple little basic config questions

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 at 15:52 GMT, Kent West penned:
> I echo Colin's thought. Forget about "su" and use "sudo". It takes an
> extra 5 keystrokes per command, but it "just works", and in my opinion
> is better than forgetting you're root and doing something you don't
> want to do.
>
> apt-get install sudo visudo, add yourself a line similar to what's
> already there sudo command_to_be_run_as_root

People keep talking about sudo like it's the cat's meow, and maybe for a
single-user system it is.  But sudo documentation very explicitly warns
that, if you're not careful about what you allow, you could accidentally
allow access to far more than you expected.

Anyway, go ahead and use sudo, but be aware of the possible security
issues.

(Of course, it's by definition safer than just giving someone the root
password.  I'm just saying, don't think it solves 100% of security
issues.)

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me.  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top.