Re: Microsoft good press over Longhorn

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 11:18:56AM -0600, Ray wrote:
> On Thursday 30 October 2003 10:41, Tom wrote:
> >
> > It's always interesting to watch 'em finally wake up.
>
> the way i was looking at it is longhorn must be horrible if the
> marketing has to get this much of a running start on reviews before
> the actual scheduled release(was it 2006?).  if you heard there was a
> movie/game/tech that had marketing running for 3 years before release,
> wouldn't that be a sign of major suckage to you too?

Microsoft's software has always sucked, so I can't imagine they're
losing too much sleep over quality or security, their Trusted
Computing(tm) initiative notwithstanding.

Personally, I think Trusted Computing is intended for Microsoft, the
various large copyright holders, and <tinfoil-hat-alert>three-letter
government agencies</tinfoil-hat-alert>, not those poor souls stuck with
Windows. What's taking all the time is getting all the hardware vendors
onboard the shiny new Palladium train, as well as twisting the arms of
those who resist. This all takes time and money.

Like many of us I think free software is a better deal for everyone
except for proprietary software vendors like Microsoft. As more people
come to this inevitable conclusion Microsoft will most likely resort to
the same kind of illegal anti-competitive tactics that has gotten it in
trouble before.

Should be an interesting ride anyway. Sure hope they lose though.