[OT] deleting pictures from digital camera via computer?

Hi all,
I am using a Nikon CoolPix 3100 digital camera.  It is pretty easy to set
up in Debian unstable.  It doesn't seem to be supported by gphoto2 or
gtkam, but one can mount it as a USB mass storage device after installing
hotplug, following the directions at this page:

http://home.gagme.com/greg/linux/usbcamera.php

Here is my question.  Once the camera is mounted (in my case, I put it at
/mnt/camera), I can see the pictures here: /mnt/camera/dcim/100nikon/*.jpg
If I want to delete them, can I just do "rm -f /mnt/camera/dcim/100nikon/*.jpg"
or would this cause an internal database of the camera to get out of sync
with the pictures actually present?  For obvious reasons I don't want to
try this experiment myself so I'm hoping someone knows the answer.

If it's safe to do this, it would be more convenient than going through
the camera's menu screens to delete the pictures after they're safely on
my hard disk.

Please CC me since I'm not subscribed to the list.

thanks and regards,

--
Kevin McCarty                Physics Department
kmccarty@princeton.edu       Princeton University