Re: Q: Why is linux-wlan-ng not an ordinary part of the kernel?

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 18:25, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I believe to have a prism wlan card in my notebook and while digging around
> what to do I came to the conclusion that I need a module, which is in
> linx-wlan-ng?!

no, you don't need linux-wlan-ng for this. The stock orinoco_cs driver
works just fine in my laptop.

>   It is a kernel module and part of the official debian distro, isn't it? My
> expectation had been to see this turn up in menuconfig, but it doesn't. There
> also isn't a precompiled module for the current 2.4.22 kernel in the
> repository.

It is not part of the official linux kernel though, and it isn't a
kernel patch, so it doesn't show up in menuconfig.

>   Is there any particular reason for this or is it just, that the module
> somehow is prevented from becoming a *first class* citizen of the kernel?

There is no kernel citizenship hierarchy. Install the modules and they
will work.

--
Mark Roach