Install: How to make boot floppy that's really an image?

Hi,

How do I jiggle things (via the second console) so that when the installer
writes a boot floppy, it actually writes to an image?

I have tried making an image and mounting it via loopback, but the
installer gives the error "dbootstrap[16]: error getting floppy geometry
from /dev/fd0".  is there some way I can specify this in the image?

The reason I ask is that I am in the middle of a network install to an IBM
X31 laptop.  The MBR already has a windows installer that I don't want to
lose and the laptop has no disk drive (neither floppy nor CD).

Thanks,
Andrew

--
http://www.acooke.org/andrew