Re: devfs and lvm

[20031030] Benedict Verheyen <linux4bene@pandora.be> wrote:

> Hi,

Hello

> currently my server (2.4.21) is running LVM. All partitions are on
> LVM except a boot partition. I would like to move to devfs.
> Any good documents or howto's out there that explain how to set
> this up. I understand that i will need to install devfsd and
> that i might have to change the root boot option i now specify
> for grub as root=3a00.
> Any other significant changes/difficulties?

Just install a kernel with devfs (& mount devfs at boot) enabled. Note
that you won't need /dev/pts with devfs so u can disable it in kernel
config. Install devfsd & u' re done, no modification necessary. However
if you run grub & use update-grub, do:

$ cd /boot/grub
$ mv device.map device.map.old
$ grub-install /dev/hdX (replace X with your drive)
$ update-grub

--
|  .: Manolis Tzanidakis             |