Re: Simple little basic config questions

On Thursday 30 October 2003 12:30, Haines Brown wrote:
[...]
> For years I didn't "loose all that", but could "su - root" as I
> needed. I still don't know whether my system's busted or if it is me
> ;-) That is, is "loosing all that" a natural occurance or a flaw in my
> setup?
[...]
The point is, ou need to omit the "-" if you want to inherit the ordinary
user's environment - which includes his X-session (approximately, I'm no
expert).

BTW, you don't need to specify "root" - that is the default for su.  So it is
either
   "su -" when you will be in /root and with root's usual environment, or

   "su" when you will be able to use Xwindows and also will still have the
        same pwd (present working directory) and environment as immediately
        before the command.

I don't think anything is broken in your setup.  I do seem to recollect that,
when I used RH, su- was able to use Xwindows, so it may be that some distros
execute this differently.

HTH

--
richard