Re: mkfs.msdos, FAT 32 and wrong disksize

Hi Florian,

thanks for the reply.

> lorian@fsavigny.de <lorian@fsavigny.de> [2003-10-30 03:06]:
>

> > Dear all,
> >
> > don't ask why but I have to prepare a disk with FAT32.
>
> I won't ask ;-) , but if you happen to have also Windows on your
> machine, I think I have an advice.

unfortunately (in this case and only in this one ,-) I do not have any
native Windows with which I can format a disk.  However, a friend of
mine disposes of oly Windows...

> Yeah, my advice would be: play it safe. Format one of those
> partitions with Windows, and then check again about the sizes. My
> bet is that everything will be as supposed.
>
> Another advice is taken from the fdisk manpage:
>
>        For best results, you should  always  use  an  OS-specific
>        partition table program.  For example, you should make DOS
>        partitions with the DOS FDISK program and Linux partitions
>        with the Linux fdisk or Linux cfdisk program.

I see.  A pity.  Thanks!

> I would follow that. True, the Win fdisk is very unwieldy (if not
> stupid) and lets you do things in a certain sequence only. That
> should not be a problem if you are sure what to do. I have not had
> any problems with the schedule:
>
> 1 - win fdisk 2 - linux fdisk 3 - win format (for all vfat) 4 -
> linux mkfs (for all ext2/3)

My way for doing things like that:
1 - cfdisk, partion all the disk as you want to
2 - install Windows and re-create the partitions for Windows only (no
    overhead since this costs only two more keystrokes IIRC).
3 - install Linux -- for safety reasons because it happened some time
    ago that "nice" Windows deleted all the things found on a
    harddisk.

wbr,
Lukas
--
Lukas Ruf           | Wanna know anything about raw |
<http://www.lpr.ch> | IP?  <http://www.rawip.org>   |