Re: Getting HP to support Debian

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:19:55 -0500
Roberto Sanchez <rcsanchez97@yahoo.es> wrote:

> Colin Watson wrote:
>
> > They employ many people to develop Debian GNU/Linux and have donated
> > quite a bit of our core infrastructure. Their Linux Chief Technology
> > Officer is a former Debian Project Leader and a prolific Debian
> > developer. I believe that HP employ more Debian developers than any
> > other company in the world. If you think all that's unauthorized by
> > their board, you're delusional, pure and simple.
>
> Any ideas on how to get them to sell me a laptop with Debian (or
> any flavor of GNU/Linux) preinstalled then?  I haven't had any luck
> with them on this so far?  Is it that the market is so small that
> they are uwilling to try? or do customers not complain enough?
>
> -Roberto

I don't know about preinstalls, but a friend spent the best part of a
day doing Debian installs on notebooks for a dealer that was getting a
lot of enquiries and wanted to know what the true oil was.
His favourite install was on the new Omni, he was very impressed, and
the dealer gave him $500.00 Canadian off the price for the day, so he
was happy.
With that kind of market reaction, I don't think it will be too long
before Linux preinstallations are available, but I'd still prefer to do
my own.
Regards,

David.