Re: Converting a partition from NTFS to Ext3

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:08:55 -0500
Roberto Sanchez <rcsanchez97@yahoo.es> wrote:

> Nathan Poznick wrote:
> > Thus spake Frederico Rodrigues Abraham:
> >
> >>	Hi.
> >>	How can i do this without losing the data on my NTFS partition?
> >>	This is the final step for moving completely from windows to
> >linux! >	yay!
> >>	Thanks
> >

> > You can't convert the partition in-place, you'll have to copy the
> > data somewhere else, format it as ext3, and then copy it back.
> >

> That is actually the case for every filesystem conversion (that I can
> think of).
>
> -Roberto

I just tried a search on Freshmeat because I saw a reference to an app
either in todays' Fresh Meat newsletter or Source Forge.
I can't see it on Fresh Meats' site, so it must have been Sorce Forge,
but their site is down for maintenance. As soon as it's up, do a search,
or read todays' or yesterdays' onsite newsletter. The name of the app
was ntfs something, so ntfs should give it to you. It stated something
about a utility that could read ntfs, or work an ntfs structure from
within Linux, and it was an updated release with considerably greater
functionality than previously.
Unfortunately, I didn't take much notice, as I don't intend to do any
work in the future with this format, but it sounds as though it might be
exactly what you may need.
Regards,

David.