Re: netiquette: CCing on lists

David Gaudine wrote:
> I'm surprised that so many people don't like CCs.  When I send a message, I
> want to know if somebody replies.  Without a CC (or the above) I won't get
> the reply until the next time I check the list, and then only if read every
> message on the list or remember which subject lines I've been following
> lately.

    Which isn't to hard really.  You could also use a variety of filter
options to place copies of replies in special folders or, with a GUI client,
higlight messages which are direct replies to your own.

> One person mentioned that he doesn't like to reply to the CC and then find
> out that the message was also on the list; I agree, but I usually remember
> to look at the headers to see if it's a CC.

    That would be me.  I rarely look at headers.  Why?  It's to me.  It's not
to the list.

    Also there are other problems with the CC approach.  Take, for example, a
conversation between 20 people on the same topic (much like this one) all
whacking reply-to-all.  Ok, fine, why have the mailing list software at all?
By the time that 20th person hits reply-to-all he's sending out 20 copies of
the message (1 to the list, 19 to the other participants).  It is a major
duplication of effort.

    Now imagine that person 12 wants to get out of the conversation.  How,
exactly, does he unsubscribe from a CC list?  Say he somehow manages to get
the 19 other people to take his name off the list.  In comes person 21
replying to a post by person 18 well before the point where person 12's name
was taken off the ever growing CC list.  Whoops, he's back in.

> Note: I replied to Kjetil's message by "reply all", deleting the contents of
> the "to" and "cc" fields, and typing the list address.  Which sort of
> answers Monique's original question.

    Then that would be a problem with the software.  With both Sylpheed-claws
and Thunderbird I could just set the CC field to TO and then delete the
contents of the other TO field.  Of course with SC that isn't needed since it
heeds list headers.  It is needed with Thunderbird (which I am using right
now) and isn't all that much of a pain.  I'd rather it heeded list headers but
the other things it does more than makes up for it.