Re: failing to upgrade sysvinit from Knoppix version

 --- David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org> wrote: > Simon
Tod <todsr1@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> > After a hdd install from knoppix 3.2 I tried to
> dist-upgrade to
> > Debian unstable. It all seems to work fine but my
> debian_version is
> > still reported as testing/unstable.
>
> Isn't that what it's supposed to be?  That's
> certainly what it is on
> this sid machine.
>
> > I've tracked this down to the fact that a number
> of packages from
> > the hdd install are not at the latest versions
> available in unstable
> > but are unoffical versions with different
> dependencies. The most
> > significant being sysvinit.
> >
> > If I try 'apt-get install sysvinit', I'm told I
> have the latest
> > version installed. Not true. The knoppix version
> is 2.84 something
> > or other, whereas 2.85 is available in unstable.
>
> Knowing what exactly the version is might be
> helpful.  If the Knoppix
> people have added an epoch to their version number,
> APT would be
> entirely correct in concluding that 1:2.84-mumble is
> newer than
> 2.85-7.  You might also check that your APT
> sources.list is correct,
> and that you haven't set up funny APT pinning rules.

There's nothing wrong with my sources.list, it points
to sid only. I'm not using any apt pinning rules.

The problem is, as you guessed, the epoch number.
Version 2:2.84-161.

So, any ideas? How do I "downgrade" to the more up to
date version in sid?

Thanks.