Re: netiquette: CCing on lists

On Wednesday, October 29, 2003, at 10:35 AM, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

> Yup, the way I do this with KMail is to add a filter that checks if my
> domain is in the References-header and puts it in a special folder if
> it is.

There's an idea. I'll try it. Although personally I'd still rather receive
the message in my debian-user folder and a CC in my inbox.
I suppose I can use a rule to duplicate the message if it's to
debian-user with me as a reference.  I'm not too handy with procmail
but I can probably get by.  Anything starting with ":0: c"
(work on a copy) doesn't seem to work on my server.

I'm surprised that so many people don't like CCs.  When I send a
message, I want to know if somebody replies.  Without a CC (or the
above) I won't get the reply until the next time I check the list, and
then only if read every message on the list or remember which
subject lines I've been following lately.  One person mentioned that
he doesn't like to reply to the CC and then find out that the message
was also on the list; I agree, but I usually remember to look at the
headers to see if it's a CC.

Note: I replied to Kjetil's message by "reply all", deleting the contents
of the "to" and "cc" fields, and typing the list address.  Which sort of
answers Monique's original question.

David