kernel 2.4 and executable permission for mounted fs

Hi,

as it is well known the 2.4 kernel series mixed up the permissions set
at mounting for instance vfat and iso9660 partitions: As default all
files are marked as executable, creating a problem if you copy them to
ext2. One can't change that using umask as removing the executable bit
with umask 1 also applies to directories.

My question: Is there any stable 2.4 kernel available (if possible
debianized) were this problem is fixed? Somewhere in the 2.5 series
new options fmask and dmask where introduced, but they are nor
available for 2.4 kernels, or are they?

If there are no 2.4 kernels with the problem fixed - are there any
workarounds? Put differently: As 2.4 users how do you get around that
problem?

I want to add, that I already read quite a lot on this question - but
I so far never found a working solution. (I actually found mails
claiming that the questions was solved in some other threads, but
unfortunately I didn't find those threads ...)

For your information: I use woody and tested the kernels 2.4.16,
2.4.18 and 2.4.21.

Many thanks in advance

Andreas Goesele